Weather of Arabia - With the end of the summer season and the entry of the fall season, the date of changing the time in Jordan from summer time to winter time approaches, which usually took place in the month of October of every year, until last year 2022, in which the Jordanian government decided to cancel winter time permanently. Daylight saving time is established throughout the year.
The question that comes to the minds of many now is: Will the government’s decision regarding summer time and winter time be modified? What if winter time is implemented again?
Important benefits of implementing winter time in Jordan
- Using winter time saves the cost of using electricity, as by changing the time by an hour, the sunrise time will be suitable for Jordanians and saves them from using lights for the purpose of preparing to go to school or work in the morning.
- Winter time also saves the costs of using heating means, as it will reduce the time in which heating means are used in homes in the morning
- Winter time will save citizens from feeling the cumulative psychological pain resulting from waking up in the dark and cold weather to go to school or work
- Working in winter time will reflect positively on the individual’s productive capacity at work and the capacity of students in schools in the winter. Going to work or school at sunrise is better than going in the dark.
- Using winter time will be beneficial for the people of the villages, as residents depend on walking to go to school or work, so they wake up early in the dark and cold to attend their appointments.
- Working in winter time is a natural simulation of the change in sunrise and sunset times, while not using it will be a confrontation with the surrounding natural conditions.
Will winter time return in Jordan?
According to government sources; There will be no return to winter time on the last Friday of next October. Last year, 2022, the Council of Ministers approved the stabilization of daylight saving time throughout the year, which is what it will be this year. This decision at the time was based on an extensive study conducted by the government to determine On the feasibility of establishing daylight saving time, which indicated that continuing work at this time allows one to benefit from the longest possible daylight hours.
Working with a single time system allows the country’s time to be constant in relation to Universal Time (Greenwich Mean Time), which results in the stability of communication times around the world.
Note that approximately (60%) of the countries in the world do not change their time during the year, while (40%) of the countries adopt a system of changing the time during specific times at the beginning of summer and winter, noting that some of these countries tend to fix the time in them.
Disadvantages of implementing daylight saving time in Jordan throughout the year
- Late sunrise during the winter
- Instituting daylight saving time would mean that employees and school students in extremely cold weather would be able to go to school and work before sunrise
- Increased costs for lighting and heating during the early morning hours
- Parents fear and worry about their children when they go out to schools or universities in the dark, early morning hours
- The peak of traffic at dawn and the early morning hours will coincide with the risk of frost, freezing, and fog during the winter