Arab Weather - viruses naturally change over time through a process of transformation (Mutation), and then different and sophisticated forms show of the virus , as happened with the new strains that have emerged from the virus Corona (COVID-19), With the progress of the epidemic, the discovery of new forms or strains Corona virus worldwide, so why do these strains appear? And what are the new strains that have been identified?
It is completely normal for viruses to mutate, this occurs naturally when viruses reach the host's body and begin to multiply inside the host cell .
All viruses contain genetic material in the form of RNA or DNA , and mutations or transformations occur within this genetic material at different rates, depending on the type of virus, and usually the rates of mutation are higher in RNA than they are in DNA , and examples of the occurrence of high mutations in the acid Nuclear RNA , as in the human immunodeficiency virus ( HIV ).
When a virus infects a host cell, it copies its genetic material to reproduce, and then these new viruses that have proliferated are released from the host cell, and then they may continue to infect new cells and copy their genetic material.
Viruses use an enzyme called polymerase to copy their genetic material, however, polymers are not perfect, and they can make mistakes. These errors can lead to a mutation, and this genetic mutation may have 3 possibilities in terms of impact:
1. The mutation may have no effect.
2. It may harm the virus, so that it affects the virus’s ability to infect or reproduce within the host cell. In most cases, new viruses that contain a harmful mutation do not survive because they do not work well .
3. The mutation may help the virus, so that it gives the new virus additional advantages, such as that the virus has the ability to bind more tightly to the host cell , or it may help it escape from the immune system , and then these mutated viruses may become more common among the population.
Among the new strains of the emerging corona virus, which scientists were able to identify, are :
1. The strain that was first discovered in the United Kingdom ( B.1.1.7 ).
2. The strain, first discovered in South Africa ( B. 1.351 ).
3. The strain, first discovered in Brazil ( P.1 ).
In addition, there are other transformations that have appeared in the virus, but due to their recent emergence, scientists are still unable to determine some things, such as:
Read more | What are the new strains of the emerging corona virus?
We ask God Almighty to take this epidemic away from us, and to protect you all from any disease and pain.